Pages

Wednesday, 1 May 2019

Final Blog



Planning and Construction
Insert your sketch or plans:


Essentially, I wanted to build a trapezoid slab base for a circular slab piece to rest on. Then, I wanted to use coils to build a neck that topped my overall piece.
Insert your Construction photo:

Describe your thoughts or idea and the construction techniques you planned to use.

I planned to use the slab technique on the majority of my piece because it was a skill that I was not able to master in ceramics 1. More specifically, I wanted to use a trapezoidal slab for the base of my piece and a circular slab for its center. Then I wanted to top off my piece with a small coil neck that elongated the design and offered a different, smaller width as compared to the circular and trapezoidal slabs below it.

Additionally, although slightly rudimentary, I wanted to use a patterned roller to imprint designs on my slabs. I have never used this technique before and I thought that it this new technique would add an intricate and interesting detail to my piece.

Although there are various segments of my piece, I wanted each section to flow well, so that it looked like one unified and connected project.
One of the criteria is for you to be able to create what you have planned out.  How accurate were you in trying to create your idea from sketch to clay?

I think that my sketch came to life pretty well. The only section in which there was a disparity between sketch and clay was the coil section. Initially, I wanted to carve out pieces of the top coil segment so that it would look like strips were holding the lip of the piece up (sort of like it was raised or floating). But then, as I started to build all the parts of my piece and imprinted details into its various sections. I came to the conclusion that carving the coil section would be too much, and I wanted to keep my piece simple and elegant :).

Other than the slight change my design, I think that I was able to construct a piece quite similar to the initial sketch. I used the sketch as a foundation for the templates I built for each slab section. I used it to draw out the size and shape of the circle and trapezoid parts that I created.
How would you plan differently next time?

I would spend more time focusing on the aesthetic of my design. When I was creating my design, I was fixating on the skills necessary to integrate and how I could challenge myself -- which is why I leaned towards more slab pieces than pieces that relied on coil techniques, because I had not created slabs in ceramcis 1. But, looking at the final construction of my piece, I admit that it is slightly bulky and that the aesthetic could be developed further.

I also wish that I took more chances in the shapes that I chose to use. So, if I could plan again, I would spend more time looking at images online of different slab shapes and seeking inspiration. For example, perhaps I would make the center of my piece a flower-shaped slab that is more complex than a regular circle. Or, maybe I would use a bowl template and weave the center.

I would also plan by using an estimate of how long each section is going to take me. This way, I wouldn’t have to come in for extra work time or be stressed out about completing my piece, as I was during this process. Rather, I would estimate how long each section would take me and use that information to guide my design and what time and piece combinations would work best together.




Glazing
Insert prefired glaze photo


Insert post fired glaze photo





Glaze Record and application

Coil neck and textured side part:
Base coat - White high fire glaze given by Mr. P (applied once)
Top coat - Temmoku PC-30 (applied once)

Center slab:
Base coat - Oatmeal PC-31 (applied twice)
Top coat - Temmoku PC-30 (applied twice)


Bottom slab:
Base coat - Oatmeal PC-31 (applied twice)
Dripped glaze - Temmoku PC-30 (dripped onto the top half of this part of the piece)



Final Reflection
As a final product to reflect all that you have learned in ceramics 1 and 2, is this representative of your learning? Why?

Yes, I think this is a pretty good representation of what I have learned in ceramics 1 and 2. The bottom and center of my piece display my ability to work slabs and textured rollers to add a layer of design to my piece. Additionally, the neck of my piece displays what I've learnt in using coils this semester. Most importantly, however, I'm most proud of my ability to build a piece that is symmetrical, stable, and unified in design. In ceramics 1, I often faced difficulties with building stable and symmetrical pieces, because I did not have the skills to create my pieces in an organized and structured manner. But, now I realize the planning and thought that needs to go into a piece prior to physically building it. Without this level of preparation and thought, my piece would not have become one unified structure that flows from part to part. It would have, instead, been a disjointed array of slab and coil techniques plopped on top of one another.

In terms of time management, how would you describe your use of time?

I think that I did a pretty good job at managing my time. Although it did take me longer than I wanted to plan this piece. Once I came up with a feasible design, I was able to plan my class periods and finish my piece by the class it was due. I did have to come in a few days after school to get a few additional hours of work on my piece, but I think that this was due to the lack of experience I had with slab work from ceramics 1 and the slight catching up I had to do in this area. I believe that the reason I was able to manage my time effectively was because I made sure to outline a feasible piece during my planning phase.

What would you do differently for this project?

I would re-consider my glazing choices and perhaps challenge myself more in terms of design. Initially, I wanted to use a combination of glazes Textured Amber Brown with Oatmeal coated over (to create a red, blue, and purple glossy mixture), however, the Textured Amber Brown glaze was not available. So, I decided to use a glaze that Mr. P noted was similar -- Temmoku. Although, I really like the tints of blue and purple that come out of this combination of glazes. I would have liked the piece to be a little lighter and less brown. So, if I could re-do this project, I would work to find a more balanced usage of my glazes -- perhaps glazing more than just the textured slab of my piece oatmeal, but rather glazing half of the center and then dripping into the combined color.

Also, if I could re-do this project, I would challenge myself to be more adventurous in design. I hadn't used slabs in a long time since ceramics 1 in freshmen year, so I was slightly unsure of what I could accomplish with my piece. But, if I could change my piece, I would be more daring in my usage of slab shapes and sizes and be more experimental.

What grade do you feel like you deserve for this work?

I believe that I deserve an A for this project, since I was able to expand upon my skills from the beginning of the semester, incorporate new techniques, and create a coherent piece that flows from one technique to the next.


No comments:

Post a Comment