Pages

Thursday, 4 April 2019

Coil Project Reflection



Coil Vessel
Insert post construction photo:

Describe what you liked about the coil process of building:
In Ceramics 1 with Ms. Levenhagen, we did not use a template to help structure our coil projects and we spent quite a short amount of time on this form of construction. So, this time around, I liked that there was a level of accountability in our construction process as I could rely on my template to help structure my building. Also, compared to the weaving process, I liked that the coils were so transformable. Using the right tools, layers of coils can be curved and manipulated to create concavity and shape.

Describe your frustrations:
With that said about the concavity possible in the coil construction process, I had trouble constructing transitioning from the center of my pot to the thin neck of my piece. I tried to make the transition as smooth as possible, but it was hard to keep the concavity identical throughout. I also had trouble with keeping my pot even and symmetric.

Did your original idea change? If yes, what changes occurred?
Originally, I wanted to create a pot that embodied a flower: a rim that was "floppy" and looked like the petals of a flower and leaves that created a layer of detail around the top of the pot. I was able to create the floppy rim I wanted, but when it came to making the leaf details, I messed up. I used cardboard rolls to help create a natural curved form for the leaves, but when I came back to class the next time, I realized that I had dried the clay wrong. I dried it so that the leaf details would end up being attached to the pot, and thus unable to be seen. Due to the lack of time that remained for the construction period, I decided to scrap the leaves idea and instead carve details. I ended up using a tool to create a triangle pattern along the base of the pot and to border the little carvings I did along the middle of the pot.

How could you have constructed better?
I could have constructed my pot to be more symmetrical. The neck of my pot is slightly lopsided in shape, so I would try to apply my template with a consistent amount of pressure in order to fix this.
Screenshot of your glaze of choice and glaze description.
First, I applied two coats of the Blue Rutile glaze. Then, I applied two coats of the Vert Lustre glaze on top.
Insert Pre Fired Glaze Photo

Insert Post Fired Glaze Photo
Glaze Record:
Inside: PC-30 Temmoku
Base layer: PC-20 Blue Rutile
Top layer: PC-41 Vert Lustre

Glaze application:
On the inside of my pot, I dripped Blue Rutile glaze over the Temmoku base to get the below reaction.
On the outside of my pot, I glazed from top to bottom with two coats of Blue Rutile and then two coats of Vert Lustre. Then, I went over the center of my pot (the part where my detail is) with an extra coat of Vert Lustre glaze.
Describe your final result.  Was it what you expected? (better or worse)
Based on the glaze description I found, I expected the glazes of my pot to come out slightly different. I expected more of a creamish/gold color mixed with bright blue details. My pot came out more blue and green, with gold details. Although it was not what I expected, I still like the end result and the contrast of my blue base with gold details. I also really like the inside of my pot and the effect that dripping Blue Rutile over Temmoku had. I was not expecting the reaction to be so detailed and intricate.
How could you you have glazed better?
I could have considered the reactions between my two glazes more carefully before I started applying my layers. I tried to have a dripping effect on the top of my pot on the outside, however the color of the drips was quite similar to the main color of my pot, so its effect is not too prominent. I could have also worked with the glazes better to highlight the details in my pot. The small carving details came out nicely, but the triangles I engraved were not highlighted as much. 
How could the teacher have taught the unit better?
Maybe place more emphasis on the glazing process and how to consider what reactions would best highlight our piece. For example, some of my details were covered with my glazing, so perhaps instruction on glazes that would best help carving details would have been helpful. But, also I realize that my knowledge of glazing is not as broad as other ceramics 2 students because there was not a large emphasis on glaze choice in my ceramics 1 class with Ms. Levenhagen.

No comments:

Post a Comment