Pages

Wednesday, 22 May 2019

Origami Bowl



ORIGAMI BOWL
Construction photo:


Describe your process of creating the cuts and shape of your bowl:


Because of AP Exams, I missed the class where we designed the template for our bowl, so I did not make my own template. But, I was able to use one of Mr. P's.



In order to construct the bowl, I traced out the outline of Mr. P's template on a slab of clay. Then, I slipped-and-scored the edges of each petal in order attach the folds in my piece. I used the following guidelines: scoring the right back of each petal and laying it over the left top of the next petal. 


Insert Pre-fired Glaze Photo:

Insert Post-fired Glaze Photo:


Describe the reaction between the glaze and glass effect or your glaze combination:

I applied three coats of the Mayco Plum Jelly glaze. I used this glaze to cover all parts of the bowl except for the center and bottom.

In the center, I assembled four layers of pieces of glass, because my piece is quite deep. I also tried to angle some pieces of glass outwards onto the sides of my bowl, so that I could experiment with the reaction between my glaze and glass in the kiln. Also, I really like how the Mayco glaze I used has a high refractive quality that makes it glossy. 

The effect of this combination between glaze and glass was very interesting. I liked how you can see the plum jelly glaze dripping into the outter rim of the glass, with designs of purple and blue details. It's interesting to the viscosity of the glaze and how its flux plays a role in the combination of these two materials.
What would you have done different?

I would have experimented more with my usage of glass pieces. I only used clear glass pieces, so it would have been interesting to see how the glaze and other glass parts would react with a different color shard, like an amber one for example.

I might have also applied more intricate designs when glazing. For this bowl, I just painted the entire piece using one glaze, but I think it would have been interesting to use two or three glazes and working to create a design in which the glazes and glass center worked off one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment