How have you improved in improv?
Personally, I feel that I have improved in improv a lot. I have learnt to feel more comfortable, brave, and confident on stage. I used to be very shy and not know what to do or if my offers were right or not. But now, I am just running on stage making up random offers on the spot when playing improv games like Space Jump. I've also learnt not to block or give lazy offers. In the beginning of our improv unit I would sometimes block the offer and say no, which is the worst possible thing to do in improv. I would also sometimes ask questions instead of making strong offers that establish relationship and setting. I would even sometimes start of a scene like "hey..." this is a very bad offer and doesn't tell the audience or your partner anything, so it's very hard to work with.
How will these skills help you in life?
Improv is a very important skill in life that everyone should be able to do. Improv can benefit you a lot in life whether it's with your relationships, jobs, school- anything. You learn to not "block the offer" this means that you learn to go with the flow and say YES! If someone suggests something that you may not be totally sure of, you learn to say yes and maybe this will take you to an even better place or better situation. In a job interview if something bad or unpredicted happens that you didn't prepare for, you will be able to think on the spot and fix this situation. If your a sales person you can also think of random reasons why your product is good, when you run out of reasons.
Overall, improv teaches you not to block the offer, to establish relationship and setting in an offer, be confident on stage, and to always go with the flow!
No comments:
Post a Comment