Pages

Saturday, 14 September 2013

Story of my Life


   SO... 


Taught:
In grammar I learnt all about subjects and predicates. I learnt that there are 4 types of subjects: simple- a dog, complete- a fluffy dog, compound- a dog and a cat, complete compound- a fluffy dog and a small cat.

In grammar I learnt about predicates. I learnt that there are 4 types of predicates:
Predicates: simple- howled, complete- howled violently, compound- the wind howled, echoed, and roared, complete compound- howled violently, echoed like an endless canyon and roared like a pride of lions.

In grammar I also learnt a little bit about pronouns. An example of pronouns is: I, you, it we, etc. We also learnt about proper nouns. An example of proper nouns is: Tony, Amy, etc. One important thing that we learnt about proper nouns and pronouns is that they're "bad". You should never start a sentence with a proper noun or a pronoun because then it's hard to improve the sentence with subjects and predicates.

In our memoir unit, we have learnt many ways to vary what our memoirs circulate about. The first way is writing a memoir around a object that is special to me. The other way is to write a memoir around a person that is special to me. Once I'm done with this piece the reader will know everything about this person: Name, relationship to me, looks, personality, interests, dislikes, quirks, mannerisms. Another way is writing a memoir that when the reader is done reading I've taught them something, they've learnt something about me, they know how I've changed and how I'm different, they also understand a non-cliche theme that they can carry with them throughout life. The last way is writing a memoir around an anecdote (digging into the deeper meaning).

Learnt:
I have learnt what the difference between a simple, complete, compound, and complete compound subject. I have also learnt the difference between simple, complete, compound, and complete compound predicate. Before this unit I didn't know what a predicate was and now I put four kinds of predicates into my writing. I have learnt that if a sentence begins with pronouns or proper nouns then the sentence isn't that well written as you can't improve it.

I've learnt how to write a successful memoirs around an object that is special to me. I wrote about my purple blanket that I've had ever since I was born. I've learnt how to write a successful memoir around a person that is special to me. I wrote one story about my cousin Varun who is as close to me as a younger brother. I wrote anther memoir around my little cousin Anjali who is also like my baby sister. Last but not least, I've learnt how to write a successful memoir around a piece from another piece of writing. I wrote my memoir around the quote: "Everyone was starting at me."

Confused:
I'm still a little bit confused on how to turn a cliche theme into a non-cliche one, I think that I just am looking at the big picture not the small little details that make the big picture. I also need to use present tense and the past tense in my memoirs, to help convey the theme and help show how I have improved as a person. If I just make my whole memoir except one little paragraph in present tense then I won't really have time to reflect on my actions and tell the reader who I am today. So, basically I get the reason for an appropriate amount of present tense in my memoir I just don't understand how to transition from present tense into past tense.

Work on:
To work on finding a non-cliche theme I have to go deeper into the small part of the memoir that counts and find out specifically what I'm really trying to get across to the reader. I also need to use transition phrases to make it clear when I'm changing from present tense to past tense, or past tense to present tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment