Pages

Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Turtle in Paradise Mood Reflection



In our book clubs were are reading historical fiction books, the book that I'm reading is Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm. This book is about a girl named Turtle. Turtle and her mom are going through a tough time in the 1935's. Her mom is a housekeeper, and everyone hates the housekeeper's daughter, so that's why Turtle has to go and live with her auntie, who she barely knows. Turtle's mom assures Turtle that one day they will live in their own house, just not now. Before Turtle leaves, her mom promise's Turtle that Key West Florida is paradise. But Turtle disagrees from what she see's. Turtle gets drove to her aunty's house by Mr. Lyle Edgit. Turtle reaches her auties' house and Aunt Minnie gets very surprised. She didn't know that Turtle was coming to live with her, and too make things worse Aunt Minnie already has too much on her hands with so many kids. One cousin that really stands out, in my opinion, is Beans.

I think that the reason why Turtle's mom said that Key West Florida is paradise is because everyone knows and loves Turtle's mom. So maybe she did something amazing, or she was a really good and popular kid back in the day. To prove my statement, where ever Turtle goes everyone is like: " Aren't you Sadiebelle's girl? Nice to meet you, you really do look like your mother." Miss Bea said this Turtle, when she met her in Miss Philomena's house, ( page 78). Because of this I think that Turtle is going to start to like Key West Florida, since everyone is so nice to her.

I think that the mood is moving on, which is part of life. Turtle has to get used to a new environment, Aunt Minnie's tiny house compared to the comfort of a big house with her mom. On page 21 it says: 'A house that's tiny and dark and smells like sour milk... a wicker couch that's got a broken leg propped up with a bunch of rags and a worn braided wool rug that looks like something bad got spilled on it.'
Turtle has to live without her mother, who she has lived with her whole life. And to make things even more lonely she has to live with people she barely knows. For example when Beans and met Turtle on page 17 and started introducing themselves it was very akward: ' "I'm Turtle," I say... " I'm Beans...' Turtle and Beans only got to know that they were related when Aunt Minnie came, too see who Beans was talking to on page 17.

I think that the music video that I found shows how hard moving on can be. The lady in the video looks very sad and depressed. Also it shows how she is always looking back at her past, like how Turtle is always thinking about her mom. 

9 comments:

  1. good job! I like your response, it told a lot about the story to the reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Do you think that I need to add anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the mood change? Or is that the theme? Other than that little part, I loved all the detail you put into describing Turtle and Mr. Edjit. If I had never read Turtle in Paradise, I would have a clear vision of what the beginning of the book is about. Great job Anya!
    From, Sophia D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its great the song says a lot of her family. I think you did everything I have no suggestions

    ReplyDelete
  5. wait I do have a suggestion maybe you should not make a summary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your song choice! yes, one suggestion, This is more like a summery the the mood. Other than that I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also agree with Neha. But, you did do a ton of summerizing summarizing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all your help. I will edit my post, and make it less of a summary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I edited my post, and made the summary shorter. Now most of the writing is my thoughts about the story and the mood. Thanks for all your help guys!

    ReplyDelete