Pages

Thursday, 28 May 2015

Math 8+ End of Year Reflection

During the duration of this year, I've learnt so much in math, grown in many ways, and feel fully prepared for next year!

However, before this year, I had struggled with linear equations and their applied problems. I struggled with analyzing and putting together the pieces needed to come up with an equation or answer for the problem, because I didn't know what to look for or what information I could use. Being only introduced last year, I didn't yet how to properly and efficiently graph linear equations using the constant rate of change very well. However, during my our time spent on linear, inverse, exponential equations and Parabolas, my understanding of graphing and equations has grown so much. In fact, I can state- with full confidence- that I now understand how to manipulate and use parts of an equation, graph, or even word problem to my advantage when solving a problem. 

For the most part, as I grow older and move up in grades, in math class, we usually just build off our learning of math from Intermediate school and don't learn much new material. During 7th grade, if you were to have asked me about quadratic equations, factoring, the second way to writing a linear equation, or inequalities, my answer would be a straight up no. However, this year I've learnt so many new and unknown to me before, things in math. And with these new things did come challenges. Sometimes I sat there in math class super lost and confused, but after working harder and using my background knowledge on math I was able to put the pieces together, and answer my own question. 

With a lot of success in my learning this year, I still feel that I could grow to be stronger in a couple areas. Though I've improved so much compared to last year, I still think that I could improve on my ability to answer applied problems. I now know all about linear, inverse, and quadratic applied problems. However, one type of word problem I would like to strength my skills in is exponential applied problems. I understand and am pretty good at exponential applied problems in which there is exponential growth, but when it comes to exponential decay, I need to work on that a little. So my goal for this summer and next year is too be confident in my ability to solve exponential applied problems including exponential decay. I also need to take make sure that next year with the many tests that come, to read math problems thoroughly, before I answer them, and to look over my work in a more detailed way, before I hand in my test. Overall, I've really enjoyed math this year and can't believe how much I've learnt in such a short period of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment