Pages

Thursday, 6 November 2014

Jabberwocky Self Reflection



A) In what ways did your performance show originality?
I felt like our performance really portrayed the kind of enchanted forest them. In the beginning we had one main spotlight on the stage and were wearing bird costumes. One by one we all came on stage and starting making bird and animal noises while dancing and moving around the stage. Then once everyone was on stage and there were sounds that an enchanted forest would make echoing off the stage, we one by one walked into the spotlight and said our lines. Once our lines were done we would go off stage one by one. This was to make the feeling that the enchanted forest was getting softer and softer and distant and distant, as Jessica and Kestrel started their scene, in the town. When the birds and animals were getting softer, it was like the jabberwocky, a huge, and very scary creature, was crossing paths with them and forcing them to run and hide. Showing how big of a victory it would be for anyone to slay the Jabberwocky. We also played a background noise of an enchanted rain forest, with birds chirping, leafs blowing in the wind, etc. The noise started out loud as the animals were in their enchanted forest, and then after we said our lines, and one by one exited the stage, the music faded away, showing that the Jabberwocky had come and we were moving away from the enchanted forest into the town. I feel that this first and last scene of our skit, was never done before, and I really liked it. We also managed to use this idea of the enchanted rainforest, as Elaina and I, the narrators, were kind of mysterious and creepy.
Another reason I would say that our group was unique. Is because we were able to use Sarah's acrobatic abilities in the fighting scenes. This really added to the excitement and interest in the scene. It also showed how the Jabberwocky was an enchanted creature that could do such amazing things, like back bends. Sarah and I also integrated the idea of enchantedness and using the dancing/acrobatic feel into our parts, when Jessica was telling Kestrel about the Jabberwocky and Jub Jub bird. We danced on and off the stage, and then played with our body positions as Jessica described us creatures, "the frumious bander snatch!"

B) Watch the video- look at the lighting only. How did your lighting enhance/detract from your performance?
I feel like our light was pretty good, but it could've used more colors. I like how we used one big spotlight in the first and last scenes. The animals flashed in and out of the light and then, we recieted our lines in the spotlight. I felt like that added an effect to the audience. Also sticking to the theme of mystery, enchantment, etc, the lighting the first and last scenes were only showing a little bit of the stage and the rest was black. This kind of reflected on the fact that the forest is very mysterious and there's only so much you can see. I also like how we didn't always light up the whole entire stage, because that would've been a little boring. I also like that we changed our lights a good amount of times, not to much or too little. We didn't have the same light on the whole time, because that wouldn't show how the setting and feeling of the scenes were changing and varying. But, I feel like we could've maybe added some colors, or used some cyc's to add to our lighting because too me, as I watched our video, I felt the lighting at times was a little bland. Maybe in the scene where Kestrel is in the forest, we could've had a green cyc or a tree representing the Tum Tum tree. That way it would've really added to the feeling off an enchanted forest. But I understand why  the lighting in the fighting scene wasn't to much, because we really wanted to focus on the gymnastics that Sarah was doing all over the stage and if we only had two splotlights as our lighting for this particular scene, then Sarah's cool moves wouldn't have been seen as well. Overall, I think that our group could've enhanced our performance a little more, with the use of color cyc's as part of our lighting plan.

C) What would you do differently after viewing your video?
I feel that I and everyone else in our group could've used our body language better to make the feeling of enchantment, mystery, and creepiness. When I was narrating with Elaina, I could've crouched a little, to add to the levels, and maybe moved my hands around a little. I also could've used my facial expressions better while I wasn't talking, but still on stage with Elaina. I think that we could've added some color cyc's into our lighting plan, to give the performance more depth and add the the feeling of an enchanted forest. I also think that we could've gone a little further with our costume, because some people might've not really understood who we are. The might've gotten the fact that we were narrators, but wanted a link to how this connected to our performance. What Elaina and I were really trying to represent, is the dark and mystery, basically the places of the forest that the light isn't shining on.  We were like the people hidden in the shadows, and were watching carefully, but silently. That's why we wore black head to toe and didn't want to dress up too much. But, I think that this might've not been understood in the way we thought, and people might've just wondered why we were wearing such plain and uninteresting clothes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment